Sunday, April 26, 2009

1 Kilo of Chicken

New goal: learn to say "breast" in French.

I decided to make chicken enchiladas for Bunko a few weeks ago and had to get chicken when my normal butcher was closed. The butcher shop that was open didn't have chicken breasts out on display, so my normal tactic of just pointing and saying "wahed kilo", which means 1 kilo in Arabic, didn't work. If I had been in the market for chicken thighs or wings, pointing to my own body would have probably worked. However, it was a little too awkward to point to my breasts, so I ended up with a whole chicken that weighed 1 kilo. Not really what I was going for, but I made it work. Will have to add "breast" to my repertoire of survival French.


4 comments:

dns said...

If you got 'em you can point at 'em!!

Anonymous said...

say "filets de poulet". That said they tend not to sell cuts of Chicken here, just half a chicken or a whole chicken.

Best bet is to try the Butcher on Moussa Bou Noucair near the Plein Ciel stationary shop, it's a more upmarket joint and the staff speak French.
Good luck! PeadarOParis

Anonymous said...

Could I ask your advice? I'm planning a trip to Agadir this weekend... The photos of the hotel you stayed in looked nice. Was it good, i.e. can you recommend it? and could you publish the name?

Kind regards,
Peadar

casablancalady said...

We stayed at the Kenzi Europa. Although the pool and view were absolutely beautiful, I feel we overspent. I'll look into other options for my next trip down. Hope you have a blast!