Saturday, August 30, 2008

Meet Zakia

Zakia is the incredibly amazing woman that Julie and I have hired to cook and clean for us. Since Julie and my apartments are just a floor apart, Zakia cleans both apartments on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. She also cooks for the two of us Mondays and Wednesdays. Her first day was Monday and I came home to:
  • my hand washed laundry from the week before drying on the rack outside
  • swept and mopped floors
  • spotless bathroom
  • appetizer waiting in the oven
  • stew in a pot on the stove
  • cut up fruit in the fridge
  • beds made
  • windows and shutters washed
  • all in all, a clean home!

All this in only half a day! Julie's house was just as clean. We ate together on her magnificent balcony and reflected on how wonderful Zakia is!

In a country with 15% unemployment (3 times the rate in the US), it is common for foreigners to hire housekeepers to give a job to someone. Julie and I split Zakia 3 days a week and each pay $24.00 per week (which includes her transportation). Zakia works from about 7:15 to 5 each day.

Awesome - For $100 a month, I have someone to handwash, iron, fold and put away all of my clothes as well as keep my apartment sparkling clean. She also happens to be incredibly sweet, although the fact that she only speaks Moroccan Arabic is limiting our conversations!

2 comments:

mansionmogul said...

I want a Zakia too.

Wendio said...

OMG... how amazing???!!! I agree with Brooke - I want Zakia too! Tell her we will pay double AND she can live in Las Vegas. Ha!