Sunday, July 12, 2009

Daily Life Heading Towards the Roof of Africa

Some of you may be wondering how we passed our time on Kilimanjaro. We didn't have to set up or take down camp. We didn't cook, clean, or do dishes. So what did we do?



We hiked. Every day, we hiked for at least 3 hours. For the first couple of days, we trudged slowly (chanting "Pole Pole" as we went) uphill. Gradually the top of the mountain started getting closer. Most days were sunny with a slight breeze. Summit night was freezing. On the way down, we trekked through beautiful rainforest.


No showers along the way, but we did manage to use some water and travel soap to do a load of laundry at our second camp. Here's some clean undies, socks, and shirts laying out to dry on the rocks by dad's tent.


I also spent some time reading my trashy murder mystery novel. What else are you supposed to do when the laundry's drying? Laying on the rocks in the sun was fabulous.

I'm a fairly forgetful person, so it's good that I had time to write about my Kili experiences. My journal stops at summit day, but the first few days are well documented.
We also found some time to teach our new friends some Back Alley Bridge and share plenty of laughter and good times. :)

1 comment:

Linda Reeder said...

I'm glad you journaled. I hope you arer doing more of it as you travel and live your exotic life. It will be a treasure to look back on one day.