Thursday, July 9, 2009

Things I Love About America...

I'm taking a quick break from the Kili posts to share my excitement about being back in the US. Here are some of the things that I didn't realize that I missed so much.
  • Ice: they serve these frozen bits of water in drinks here. On my flights over, I was given full glasses of ice with my soda, rather than empty plastic cups. I particularly like when I can get the ice myself out of the soda machine.

  • Family: Nothing's better than showing up at the Bert Mooney Airport to Aunty Jane, Gramps, and Uncle Kev. Well, except maybe waking up to this delightful breakfast at Grandpa's house.

  • Pox: I love my car. He was washed and ready to go when Gramps and I picked him up this morning. I have been having fun cruising around Butte with the sunroof open, listening to CDs I made forever ago. I may retract the love for driving once I have my first 10 hour road trip tomorrow, but for now I'm loving it.

  • Pork: it's on all the menus here - bacon, ham, etc. Luckily, Butte happens to be the home of the best pork place in America - Porkchop John's. Gramps and I had deep fried porkchop sandwiches for lunch. Yum!
  • Efficiency: I ran all of my errands today in a single morning! Well, I've got some more to do this afternoon, but all the big stuff got out of the way in a mere couple of hours. Same errands would have probably taken me a week to do in Casa.

I am so stoked about the rest of this vacation. Can't wait to see everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does he have that Texas Longhorn shirt on???? Everyone knows his true love is the Washington State Cougars!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait. Grandpa's breakfasts are something to write home about -hmmm - never thought of taking a picture. (or... publishing it!) I am looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a car - I do so love errands...ESPECIALLT with an AMERICAN diet coke tanker:) Help Annie- can't remember my password and/or password. It's your Mom:)

mansionmogul said...

I love everything about this post. Also I totally love having my car too. You can take the girl outta America, but you can't take America outta the girl! ;)

dns said...

Deep Fried Porkchop sandwiches, really?

Katie said...

aw grandpa looks so cute, i'm really jealous! can't wait to get up to montana!

Linda Reeder said...

The little things we take for granted! They are so much more appreciated when you have done without them for a while. Good post.

Unknown said...

welcome back to land of the free, and the home of the brave!!