Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dream Tourist Destination

For almost ten years, I have wanted to do one thing in Paris - the Paris Sewer Tour. When Pairry and I travelled in the summer of '99, we didn't get a chance to go before leaving Paris and I've since dreamed of going back. My dream was finally realized on my Paris/London February break trip. Thanks to Em and Kris for humoring me.

The Paris Sewer Tour starts off with a gallery of diagrams and photos describing Paris' sewer system. As you roam through the tunneled area, you get to see displays of adorable sewer rats, among other highlights.

Once you pass the first tunnel or two, the delightful stench of sewage begins to overwhelm your senses. Needless to say, this is not the environment for a pregnant lady - Emily's pregnancy prevented us all from really taking it all in. Here's a pic of us standing right over the sewage - the majority of the tour was walking around these grates that protected us from falling in. Yum!

Once we got to this delightful section, I had only a moment to snap a photograph of the labeled displays before rushing towards the exit.

No trip to the Paris Sewer Tour is complete without a stop at the gift shop to pick up souvenir sewer mice for the kiddo back home. Spectacular!

2 comments:

mansionmogul said...

Dreams really DO come true!

PS. I could've gotten you the real thing here in DC though. Mice, that is.

PPS. You look skinny.

Wendio said...

I don't think awful sewer smell has much to do with pregnancy, although YES it would be ten fold... it is POOP in your nose that smells! Gross and awesome - I am so glad you got to go.

PS - Kris, if you read this, shave the crap off your face ;)