Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Love This Place!

Question: What do you think this is a symbol for?
Here's a hint - it's not a different version of Pac-Man!

























The Answer: Dragon's Den





Something you should know about me: I love dragons! It was my excitement and obsession that got Mum to hike down a 135 step spiral staircase just a few months after her bunyan surgery. She's a trooper!



It was well worth it. We spent a little bit of time exploring the Dragon's Den. There's something about a dark cave that thrills me.

Here's the story of the Dragon's Den, taken from our trusty Rick Steves' Eastern Europe book.


Once upon a time, a prince named Krak founded a town on Wawel Hill. It was the perfect location - except for the fire-breathing dragon who lived in the caves under the hill and terrorized the town. Prince Krak had to feed the dragon all of the town's livestock to keep the monster from going after the townspeople. But Krak, with the help of a clever shoemaker, came up with a plan. They stuffed a sheep's skin with sulfur and left it outside the dragon's cabe. The dragon swallowed it, and before long, developed a terrible case of heartburn. To put the fire out, the dragon started drinking water from the Vistula. He kept drinking and drinking until he finally exploded. The town was saved, and Krakow thrived.




I would love to marry the Prince and become Princess Krak. I doubt that will happen so in the meantime, I'll just pose for photos under the belly of a dragon.

No comments: