Monday, May 11, 2009

Mountain Retreat

Thanks to International Labor Day last Friday, I had yet another 3 day weekend. I couldn't just sit around in Casablanca chewing my fingernails, so off I went on another adventure. Thursday after school, we left for Chefchaouen, an awesome town in the Rif mountains in northern Morocco.

This door is one of two identical doors located on either side of Chefchaouen and its image is all over the tacky tourist souvenir items.

On Saturday, we went on a hike to God's Bridge, a natural rock formation over the river. Our guide then took us to a village where he cooked a delightful vegetable tagine at the village mosque. Here's Julie, Krista, me, and Johnna after a couple of hours of hiking.

Chefchaouen's medina is the cleanest that I've seen in Morocco. It is known for its beautiful blue and white painted walls - they used to be green, but the influence of Jews expelled from Spain at the end of the 15th century changed the theme. Supposedly, the color also helps ward off mosquitoes and flies. Whatever the reason, I think it's pretty.

This is the view from our balcony overlooking the beautiful mountain city. Up until 1920 when the Spanish came, only 3 Westerners had ever entered the city. Prior to that, it was illegal to enter if you were Christian - the consequence was death. Two of the men - Vicomte Charles de Foucald from France & Walter Harris from England - dressed as rabbis on separate occasions to enter the city. William Summers, an American, was caught and poisoned in 1892.


Chefchaouen's location in the Rif Mountains make it an awesome start point for various hikes through spectacular scenery. I took a ton of pictures of the gorgeous landscapes - this sure does beat the views in Casablanca.

2 comments:

mansionmogul said...

I love the blue!

mike said...

That view may even beat the view from Azrou, I hope it wasn't as cold!!

don't chew your fingernails this summer...come and visit me in CO.