Monday, October 27, 2008

Couscous - not out of a box

Before moving to Morocco, the only couscous that I had experienced came out of a "ready in minutes" box at Safeway. Moroccan couscous is a whole different ball game. Couscous is an important traditional dish here - eaten mostly on Fridays. It is so important that I have a special couscous pot that the school provides as part of our kitchen supplies. I don't have a cookie sheet or baking pan, but I have a couscous pot.


Couscous is made by steaming the couscous over a mix of vegetables (most often made with 7 Vegetables). The couscous is put on a large serving dish and the vegetable/meat mixture is poured over the top. The plate is then placed in the middle of the table.

To eat couscous, use only your RIGHT hand. (The left hand is used for other purposes, not eating). Take some couscous and vegetables and form in a ball in your hand. Toss it a little to get good form and then pop it in your mouth. Make sure to only eat from your section of the dish. If you would like something from another section (say you really love the carrots and there's one eyeing you across the plate), you must get permission from the person with that section. As Stephanie, Cinde, Mafhoud, Annike, and I were sharing this plate, we had an extra section that we could also ask each other to take from. It's better not to ask, of course, and stick to your own section.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made couscous out of a box from Safeway for dinner last night. Crazy!

mansionmogul said...

Oooh! I hope they make this at my Moroccan cooking class!

Wendio said...

That sounds delicious and totally horrifying. Touching food is so unnecessary ;) I am so proud of you for eating new stuff!

Linda Reeder said...

I know it's custom there, but, really, couldn't you use a spoon. I'm a bit obsessive, I guess, but I really don't like sticky hands.
Nevertheless, I love reading about all you are learning.