Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words or 5 dirhams...

I made it back from a fantastic vacation in Marrakech and Essouiara. It was the perfect blend of relaxation, new cultural experiences, wonderful people, and good times.

Here's an interesting bit about taking photos in Morocco. First of all, you can be arrested for taking pictures of government bulidings, so you must be careful about snapping photos of random interesting buildings. Luckily, locals will often let you know when you see one, so that you can be sure not to photograph it. Second, you should ask people when you are planning on including them in a photograph. Otherwise, you may end up being hounded by them for payment. Typically, a photograph costs about 5 dirhams (~60 cents).

I thought I was being really sneaky taking this picture of the man with the teeth. He did catch me, however, so I made sure to make up for it by taking more than one!

Never could figure out if he was selling the teeth or just waiting for unsuspecting tourists to take pictures of his odd display....


I even took one from up above at the rooftop terrace where we grabbed lunch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

im your favorite reader here!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear god, that is so awesome. Please buy me some teeth next time you're there...

Wendio said...

I wonder if you get to try the teeth on prior to purchase??? Gross...