Friday, October 10, 2008

Getting Lost in the Souqs

The Lonely Planet suggested that we take some time in Marrakech to "get lost in the souqs", so we did that the first day we were there. It was a bit overwhelming to see so many shops with similar stuff (carpets, blankets, woodwork, pottery, jewellry, etc) and the shopkeepers were pretty aggressive. I don't know how anyone actually finds there way around the maze of shops, narrow alleys, and tons of corners. My map reading skills are not great, but I think it would have been challenging for anyone to not get lost. Luckily, we had a good time exploring and trying to find an exit once it started raining.


The second day, we actually hired a guide to take us around. He brought us to a carpet shop, where the salesmen spoke English and I bought my first rug! Once I've decided where to put it, I'll take a picture to post. The work in progress below was in the carpet shop where I bought mine. The ladies who are normally weaving were off celebrating the Aid Holiday.