Saturday, December 13, 2008

Eating the Sheep: Rated PG-13

**WARNING: These images aren't that bad, but if you're grossed out by raw animal organs, don't scroll down.**





Once the intestines and stomach is rid of all the poop, it's time to boil pieces of the stomach and remove more nastiness. These stomach pieces were boiled with garlic, lemon, and other herbs.



The lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, and other organs were then boiled in the water the stomach had been boiled in.


Unfortunately, or fortunately actually, the stew made with the above organs is not the first meal of the Eid. Instead, pieces of liver are chopped up and wrapped in the fat that was hung on the clothesline. They are then skewered and barbecued. Not the most delicious thing I've ever tasted, but I kept myself from vomiting!


Although the sheep organs are the main event, other side dishes, such as Moroccan salads and artichokes, are served as well.


Here's Sabah chopping up the intestines for the stew (Dinner on Day 2). I was only able to try the stomach and lungs before the nausea set in, but I'm sure the intestines were just as tasty.

1 comment:

Linda Reeder said...

Oh my. I don't think I could have been a very gracious guest. I have eaten heart, liver and tounge, and of course intestines used as sausage casings, but I could go no further than that, and I don't care to eat any of those any more.