Thursday, December 4, 2008

Family Tradition

For as long as I can remember, our family has had a wonderful tree - topper ceremony. It normally takes place over Thanksgiving Break, when we decorate the house for Christmas. This year, my family was here in Morocco and they brought me this adorable 3 foot Christmas tree with assorted ornaments from my childhood. I put it on one of the end tables in my living room.


Our traditional tree topping ceremony goes like this.
  1. My super strong father puts one of the four children on his shoulders.
  2. As they walk across the room, we all join in singing "O Christmas Tree".
  3. The kid on Dad's shoulders puts the star on the tree.
We weren't going to let the fact that my tree is shorter than me get in the way of family tradition. Katie popped up on Dad's shoulders and we sang together. (I'm sure the neighbors really appreciated this!)

By the way, does anyone know the lyrics to "Oh Christmas Tree"? We only know a few (Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, How evergreen your branches - repeat until tree is complete)It feels just like home! Thanks to my family for celebrating the tradition in my new home!


2 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, that's wonderful! What a great family you have. Happy Holidays, indeed!

Wendio said...

That makes me want to cry a little how sweet that is! I am so happy that your family was able to help you bring home the holidays! Miss you!